b-hebrew - 2 Samuel 8:4 ..thousand chariots, and seven hundred horsemen (KJB)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: 2 Samuel 8:4 ..thousand chariots, and seven hundred horsemen (KJB)
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 07:42:10 -0500

Shalom b-Hebrew,

Thank you for all the additional assistance on the Zechariah branch passage,
I hope to have a little more to ask on that shortly :-)

=============
2 Samuel 8:4
And David took from him a thousand chariots,
and seven hundred horsemen,

JPS-1985
David captured 1,700 horsemen

=======================
The KJB breaks up the two numbers, 1000, and 700, and applies the
1000 to an implicit, not explicit, rehkeb/chariots, separating it from the
700.

2 Samuel 8:4
And David took from him a thousand chariots,
and seven hundred horsemen,
and twenty thousand footmen:
and David houghed all the chariot horses,
but reserved of them for an hundred chariots.

Could I have your views on this implied "chariots" in the KJB
.....grammatically, the numeric separation of the 1000 from the 700, and
contextually,

If you wish to address the verses consistency with 1 Chronicles 18:4,
that would be interesting, also, as many translators take
issues like internal consistency into account...

e.g. there are various attempts at harmonization without claiming "scribal
error" in the MT.

Either type of explanation (of the text or by claiming scribal error) tends
to work with one reading and not the other.. and I gather the "scribal
error" claim has no easy method of actual explanation... (ie. you can't claim
a "0" dropped off, as in our numbers :-)

Thank you...

Steven Avery
Bayside, NY

schmuel AT escape.com

Messianic_Apologetic-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com

  • 2 Samuel 8:4 ..thousand chariots, and seven hundred horsemen (KJB), Schmuel, 01/02/2003