b-hebrew - Re: Heavenly Jerusalem?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Shai Heijmans" <shaih AT post.tau.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Heavenly Jerusalem?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 21:51:24 +0200

Hi Bill,

you wrote:

>In light of this, in your view, would Zech 14 or Isaiah 2 be a reference
>to this? Or would this be much later?

Actually, I don't think the legend of a heavenly jerusalem stems from
biblical times. My guess is, that it first came to existence during the end
of the second temple (300 BCE - 70 CE), otherwise we would have an explicit
statement in the bible. The biblical verses are just an "excuse" for the
midrash.

Regards,

Shai