b-hebrew - Re: English Translation of Rabbinic Literature

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <klowery AT wts.edu>
  • To: Schmuel <schmuel AT escape.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: English Translation of Rabbinic Literature
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:10:52 -0500

Schmuel

Thanks for the additional information. I admit I didn't look at everything in detail, and had missed the part where the original poster wanted it in English. I've used the site for Hebrew Bible and Targum texts, is all.

What about Jacob Neusner's translations? They're not electronic of course,
but...

Blessings,

Kirk

Schmuel wrote:
Shalom b-Hebrew,

Kirk

There's a lot of online resources at <http://www.mechon-mamre.org/index.htm>

Schmuel
Outside of Tanach there seems to be not that much in English there (or likely anywhere)

"(the beginning of) RaMBaM's Complete Restatement of the Oral Law (Mishneh Torah)
Four major authoritative sources of the Oral Law (Mishnah, Tosefta, Yerushalmi, and Bavli)"

Even in print, it is rare to find a comprehensive citation of Rabbinical views,
with the exception of Isaiah 53 in the classic Driver/Newbauer book,
or the snippets in Translations like ArtScroll or Living Nach/Torah

Even passages like Psalm 110 have to be researched scattershot, we
found a fascinating commentary by Ovadyah Sforno that was barely
referenced elsewhere..

Remember many commentaries, of folks like Abarbanel or Ibn Ezra,
are simply not published in English.... (afaik) Rashi and Maimonides
are possibly the two principle exceptions., even there it is doubtful
if something like Rashi's Talmud commentary has ever been published
in English....

(I have a question on that one, if someone has it :-)

If anyone has substantial sources to share, print, CD or Web, I also am all ears..

(Not including the Talmud on CD....or various individual Pentateuch commentaries
in print or CD, which are numerous)

And feel free to correct me if I am way offbase on my understanding :-)

Shalom,
Steven Avery
Bayside, NY

Dale wrote:

Does anyone know of freely accessible web sites that one can use to read
literature such as the tractates of Mishnah or Talmud, in English. For
example, how would one find an English version online of Yebamot or Pesahim?

schmuel AT escape.com

Messianic_Apologetic-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com

Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute
Adjunct Professor of Old Testament
Westminster Theological Seminary, Philadelphia

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.
Bei uns sind Theorie und Praxis vereint:
nichts klappt und keiner weiss warum!