b-hebrew - Re: Deut29

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Deut29
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:15:18 -0500

Dear Serge, I think "the saturated with the parched" refers by a figure of
speech to the total land holdings of the self-righteous. The idea is that
nothing will be safe from the "wipe-out," the sphot. The well-watered land
is at risk as much as the dry. In Deu cursing and blessing depict the land
as one of the primary objects. The clause in question has a bear skeleton
of elements that we could imagine more filled in as follows:

lema`an yiyeh sphot ha'erets harravah veha'erets hatsme'ah
"as a result the wipe-out of the saturated land with the dry land will
come."

sphot is an infinitive construct in construct with haravah and hatsme'ah,
adjectives that are here being used substantivally. Literally, we might
translate " as a result, the wipe-out of the saturated with the parched."

I would guess that the 1QS II citation, which supplies the self-righteous
one's spirit instead of his land as I did, is a result of community
interpretation. I guess that a spirit may have both that which is
"saturated," perhaps the intentional, or nurtured actions and that which is
dry, unintentional or natural actions. See Rashi.

Shalom,
Bryan