b-hebrew - Vowel Pointing (was RE: ????)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Vowel Pointing (was RE: ????)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 05:54:02 -0500

Dean wrote:

> I'm new in the Hebrew. I'm learning, slowly but surely, but i had a
> question. do the rules for vowel placement apply to handwritten
> hebrew as in
> printed hebrew???

Generally speaking, yes. Some of it depends, though, on how you're writing
by hand. If you use Modern Hebrew cursive script, for instance, you'll
probably have to be a little more creative in where you put things, because
the letters are sometimes shaped quite differently. Keep in mind that the
vowels are not required and slow down writing, so native speakers tend not
to use them. That means the shapes of the letters will not necessarily be as
well suited as you might like to adding the vowels. Of course, the closer
your characters are to those printed in the Hebrew Bible, the easier it
should be to duplicate the arrangement of the points.

Did you have particular points that were giving you problems?

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

  • Vowel Pointing (was RE: ????), Trevor & Julie Peterson, 11/14/2002