b-hebrew - Re: BH TMA, Bryan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BH TMA, Bryan
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:39:20 -0500

Hi Vince, you wrote:

> but let me ask you: do you think it is possible to argue hebrew "hayu
> kotevim" is a "verb form"? and in what way would it be different from
> english "were writing" ...?

My first reservation would be in thinking of HYH as a be-verb. I don't
think it is. I think it means "become,happen" so that hayu kotevim means
they had become writers. I think hayah lo means specifically that it *had
become* his rather than it *was* his. hu' lo would be it was (is) his. I
think HYH is closer to Gr ginomai than eimi.

Do you need a copulative verb form for your model?

> btw, are coming up for the SBL ...?

I am scheduled to preach Sun.

Yours, B.

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13206

ph: 315.437.6744
fx: 315.437.6766

  • BH TMA, Bryan, Vincent DeCaen, 11/05/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: BH TMA, Bryan, B. M. Rocine, 11/05/2002