b-hebrew - Re: The daughter of Jeftah died?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "nick lunn" <nick_lunn AT wycliffe.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The daughter of Jeftah died?
  • Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 09:10:42 -0400

Dear All,

If anyone is interested in reading a dated, yet excellent, exegesis of
the account of Jephthah's daughter, I would strongly recommended that
by Jonathan Edwards (claimed by some to be America's greatest
theologian ever). It is found in volume 2 of the standard edition of
his works. It is a shame that it is not better known. He argues
strongly, and convincingly in my opinion, that Jephthah did not
literally offer the life of his daughter. Edwards takes the view that
according to the Hebrew law, a person could be redeemed by means of an
animal substitute. This was in fact the case with the 'firstborn of
Israel'. Human sacrifice was an abomination to God. If Saul was
rebuked for a less serious sacrificial irregularity and Uzziah too for
offering incense, would not we hear a similar rebuke for Jephthah if
he had literally sacrificed his daughter? He certainly would not have
found a place amongst the heroes of the faith in Hebrews 11.

Anyway, I will leave the rest for those who are interested.

Nick Lunn
Wycliffe Bible Translators
Kenya