b-hebrew - Re: Num 24:24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Num 24:24
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:59:16 +0200

Yigal,

Thanks for your response. I don't agree with you about
the Assyria/Syria question. I think both Josephus and
Lucian, both eminent scholars of their times, would
have been aware of the realities involved. But the
issue is not important to my problem!

>Now getting back to Num 24:24, if your assumption is that the Balaam story
>is post-exilic, it may very well mean "Syria", although it would be the
>ONLY case that I know of in the Hebrew Bible. But the whole passage is so
>strange, that I would go with a less literal approach.

I am actually just clutching at straws with this verse.
My ultimate interest is in the significance of the
Kittim, but first I think it is necessary to extract
what meaning I can from the verse -- and I haven't got
very far at all.

Ian