b-hebrew - Re: Psalm 22:16 like a lion they mauled, the emendation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Psalm 22:16 like a lion they mauled, the emendation
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:28:50 +0100

On Sun 15 Sep 2002 (08:42:56), mshulman AT ix.netcom.com wrote:
> From here we can see how the JPS has translated it:
>
> "For dogs have encompassed me; a company of evil-doers have inclosed me;
> like a lion, they are at my hands and my feet."

I see what you mean, Moshe; but if it were really "like a lion", it would
not be at one's hands and feet, but at the nape of one's neck. One bite of
the big cat's canines dislocates the cervical vertebrae and causes instant
death.

On the other hand, hunting dogs always go for the lower limbs, to tear the
hamstrings so that the quarry can no longer run, and falls to the ground
to be finished off.

Shalom,
Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>
http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm

  • Re: Psalm 22:16 like a lion they mauled, the emendation, Ben and Jo Crick, 09/15/2002