b-hebrew - Re: Eve/Chavvah.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Israel A. Cohen" <izzy_cohen AT bmc.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Eve/Chavvah.
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:58:22 -0400

> I would have thought that the Greek equivalent sound
> of khet was chi and of kaf was kappa. Perhaps the
> pronunciation of the Hebrew was different from what
> we understand it.

It seems one ancient het had a W-sound, parallel to
ancient Greek digamma and Germanic Wynn. Digamma and
its W-sound dropped out of Greek prior to the Classical
period, so words which contained digamma ended up with
a breathing-sound or a void.

Let me know if you want a list of words where
Hebrew het is parallel to W in Germanic --> English.

dosh XaM = WarM greetings :-)
izzy_cohenb AT bmc.com

  • Re: Eve/Chavvah., Israel A. Cohen, 09/11/2002