b-hebrew - Re: 1QS srk

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: RGmyrken AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: 1QS srk
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:07:46 EDT

The best discussion of the etymology of serekh is probably that at L.
Schiffman, The Halakhah at Qumran (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1975) 60-68.
Schiffman's detailed analysis shows that the term serekh was originally used
in a military context and was later applied in organizational and legal
settings. At page 68 he summarizes his conclusions as follows:

'A denominative verb meaning "to administrate, issue an order or array"
came into use, followed by a noun meaning "battle array, order, instruction."
This military use of serekh led to its employment for a list of names in a
military context. Since the sect saw itself as a militia preparing for the
eschatological war, it appropriated the term for a roster of its members. At
the same time, serekh became a general term for a series of orders or
instructions and was used for a list, body, or code of halakhot (usually on
one subject) and even as a general term for sectarian law.'

My own view is that the serekh literature is to be associated with the
Maccabean army, who first used the term serekh in a military context (its
development can be traced in the War Scroll, 1QM) and later applied it to
civil institutions, legal contexts, etc. The use of Serekh in 1QS as an
organizational term belongs to this latter phase.

Best regards,
Russell Gmirkin