b-hebrew - RE: Iron and Bronze.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Iron and Bronze.
  • Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:36:51 -0400

At 02:07 AM 9/6/2002 +0100, Peter Kirk wrote:
>Hold on, surely the actual evidence is that the Iron Age in the area in
>question started much earlier than the 8th century, perhaps the
>12th-13th century or even earlier with the invasion of the Sea Peoples.
>So even if we accept Ian H's line of argument it tells us only that
>Genesis was written no earlier than the 12th-13th century. This is not a
>very strong claim, it doesn't even rule out authorship by a 13th century
>Moses.

The fact that the period beginning c. 1200 BCE is called the "Iron Age" is
only a convention, left over from early 20th century (CE) concepts brought
in by British and European archaeologists. The 12th century BCE was a time
of many changes. Wide-spread use of Iron was NOT one of them (as per the
evidence we have now).

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga