b-hebrew - RE: strings of nouns/adjectives

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky <hermeneutics AT kulikovskyonline.net>
  • To: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: strings of nouns/adjectives
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 17:23:21 +0200

<hermeneutics AT kulikovskyonline.net> =====

>> >But wouldn't the string be terminated by a definite noun if this were so?
>>
>>Yes, "Hayyah", "living thing".
>
>In my GRAMCORD text, it is parsed as an adjective? Why do you say it is a
>definite noun?

Why not read the first two words as a construct phrase and the last as an
adjectival modifier on the whole thing? You still end up with the suggested
translation above.

Which translation? Yigal's? I don't see how. Wouldn't it be "a swarm of living breathing things"? That would actually make a lot of sense especially since sherez is singular (collective noun).

BTW, why do you think a *definite* noun is needed?

You're right - it doesn't need to be definite.

cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew & Debby Kulikovsky
Check out my Biblical Hermeneutics web site:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?