b-hebrew - Re: emandations of the sopherim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: emandations of the sopherim
  • Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 10:55:03 -0400

At 06:11 PM 9/1/02 -0400, you wrote:
Shalom b-hebrew,
There is a basic issue here as to the significance of this Massorah, and whether it
should be considered important in discussing and translating the Masoretic Text..
What thinketh our scholars, experts, and thinking lay-folk ?
http://www.therain.org/appendixes/app32.html
The 134 Passages Where The Sopherim Altered "Jehovah" to "Adonai".
Appendix 32 From The Companion Bible, by Bullinger

Bullinger cites Gunzburg as his source. Number of years ago this was mentioned to me, and since I had seen no sources that there ever existed such manuscript variants, and no source in Rabbinic literature for it, I was very curious. I did not have the Gunzburg book (it is quite expensive) so I wrote to Prof Schiffman, who is very familiar with these issues. Here is what he wrote back to me about that: