b-hebrew - RE: Iron and Bronze.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>, b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Iron and Bronze.
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 17:49:05 +0100 (BST)

Yigal.
Excuse my manners.
Shabbat Shalom gam lecha!

> He didn't say "bronze" - he said (or wrote)
> "nehoshet", which means copper.
> As I wrote, I don't think that he differentiated
> between "soft" copper and
> its "more useful" alloys.
> In any case, this is one more case of anachronism -
This example surely suggests bronze though?
Armour of copper especially a sword would be nearly
useless.

Anyway despite the "evidence" I'll keep an open mind
on this one.

Thanks for your thoughts though.
Toddah Rabbah.
Ian.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b