b-hebrew - RE: alliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <pzellmer AT sc.rr.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: alliteration
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:56:29 -0400

Jack,

I'm not quite sure I follow your logic here. You posit that the original
uses of poetry were as mnemonics, yet you seem to be arguing against the
assignment of alliteration to poetry for an oral ancient society. Perhaps I
don't understand what is the "modern literate sense" of alliteration (or its
supposed assignment to poetry??). Alliteration is a modern mnemonic device
often utilized in modern day prose, whether oral or written. Since it is
not used exclusively in poetry today, I'm not aware of anyone who assigns it
exclusively to ancient poetry. Is there someone who has taken that position
that you know of?

I would have thought from Andrew's question that he would have been
surprised if it were not found in prose. He just couldn't think of any
examples.

All the best,

Paul Zellmer