b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 40:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John Townsend" <webmaster AT touchstoneforum.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 40:22
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:20:21 -0400

Greetings:

Thanks Rolf for your fine comments on this very interesting verse in the
Holy Bible. I think you and I are on the same page here. Since your
background is in languages (and mine is not), I wanted to ask you and
others here your views. It is interesting that James B. Moffat in his own
translation renders the key phrase of Isaiah 40:22 this way: "He sits over
the round earth." (Moffats Translation). Also the Douay-Rheims "It is he
that sitteth upon the globe of the earth," this translation being of
course from Jerome's Latin Vulgate. Jerome uses the latin "gyro" or
specifically "super gyrum terrae." I don't know why Jerome would use this
word as there other Latin terms available for "circle". Perhaps you could
tell me.

I am a chemist and mathematician by background. What I have always
appreciated, is that while the Bible is not a science text, the findings
of modern Science have never proved the Bible inaccurate in its
statements. I know of no other book of antiquity that can make this claim.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

agape,
John