b-hebrew - my response to everyone

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: my response to everyone
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:03:30 -0400

I didn't realize this went to the whole list,
so I'll respond to the list what I responded to Christine
and to others who have responded to me on and off list.
I had gotten myself onto a Bible discussion list which
soon became infected by a group of vicious anti-semites,
a group called the Watchers.
They are the "many people," but I should (hopefully) have
said "a few people."
Now I can, and did, argue with my interlocutors that Jesus
was simply speaking to a small group of people, and it was
polemical hyperbole which was not to be taken literally.
But they didn't buy that.
The text has Jesus say to "the Jews (Ioudaious) (John 8:31),
"you are out of your father the devil."(John 8:44).
Whether or not you accuse me of bad exegesis, this is what the
text says.

Liz

  • my response to everyone, Lisbeth S. Fried, 06/13/2002