b-hebrew - RE: the english word for "Jew"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: the english word for "Jew"
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 16:38:38 +0100 (BST)

Before this thread descends into idle speculation and
the inevitable offence (if not incurred already) of
some sort or other can we please, as Maurice already
requested, stick to questions
related to biblical Hebrew.

> The problem that many people have is that the NT
> provides Jesus'
> genealogy
> as descending from the Judean kings, and then it has
> him say that
> Jews are descended from the devil. Since people
> don't want to have Jesus
> himself be descended from the devil (!) they go
> through all kinds of
> convolutions
> to deny that the Kings of Judah are Jews!

Perhaps if you were to read and understand this greek
text better Liz it would save you from making such
uninformed gaff as this. Please don't provoke the
entire Christian membership of list with sort of off
topic fable.

Ian.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b