b-hebrew - RE: Hurvitz argumentation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Vincent DeCaen" <decaen AT chass.utoronto.ca>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <vince AT friedberg.com>
  • Subject: RE: Hurvitz argumentation
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:09:20 -0400

Dear VIncent, why is D placed at 600? I know the frame may be late,
but I place core D to 700, right after 701. The requirement of one
single
place of worship is the response to the destruction of every other place
of
worship by the Assrians in their whole series of onslaughts which ended
in 701 and the miraculous saving of Jerusalem. The author knows that
Jerusalem is the place God chose, because God allowed every single
other place to be destroyed.
We need to disentangle Josiah's putative reform from D.
I don't know about your order of the books, but in any case, everything
needs
to be pushed back 100 years imo.
(I've an article coming out in JAOS on the reforms of Josiah and
Hezekiah
in which I try to show that neither is historical. If so, we can forget
about
assuming that D is the book found in the temple, and unlink the reform
and the book.
I discuss the date of D briefly as an appendix to the article.)
Best,
Liz