b-hebrew - Re: Yhe Land Divided

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Tyler Connoley <johntyler AT connoley.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Yhe Land Divided
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 12:18:32 -0500

Title: Re: Yhe Land Divided
I thought I’d sent this earlier, but apparently only replied to gfsomsel.

I think the verse being referred to (Gen 10:32) doesn’t talk about lands being divided. It talks about nations (HAGGOYIM) spreading out or separating (NIGR:DW). The reference is to the sons of Noah (whose genealogies take up most of Gen 10) being the progenitors of all the nations who spread out across the earth after the flood.

And lets please not get into the science or historicity of that. :-)

-Tyler (A newby to the group.)
--
"Learn to dance, otherwise the angels in heaven
will not know what to do with you." -Augustine