b-hebrew - SV: The daughter of Jeftah died?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: The daughter of Jeftah died?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 15:43:57 +0200

Because--in Ian's words--the contextualizing of Judges is not the period in
question, which is generally the problem of the OT/HB when dealing with the
past. Think als oabout Joshua who conquered Canaan from the Canaanites,
although in his days the country was ruled by the Egyptians--a small
mistake! People can see from art history when authors, artist, composer-you
name it--became interested in the past as real history.

Herodutus is mainly contemporary with the time of the Persian Wars--as a
matter of fact only a few years younger. When it comes to Herodotus'
description of the period before the wars, i.e. Polycrates of Rhodes, he is
probably no better an historian (in the modern sense) than any biblical
historiographer. Who will start to reconstruct Egyptian history on the basis
of his second book.

However, the theme has been about for many times over the years. The problem
is that the modern sense of history is so different from ancient
(pre-modern, i.e. pre 1800 CE) notions of history. If people stopped
repeating their own ideas and started to look of the ancient historiographic
literature, they may be able to see the point. We do not have evidence of
anything like von Ranke's or Droysen's historical methodology applied, in
the OT/HB, or in Herodotus or Thucydides, or Livy, or Tacitus, to mention
only a few authors.

Finally, do not forget that 'history' in Greek does not meen 'history' in
English, it (L & S) says 'research' as by newspaper people. The closest word
to 'history' in our sense is said to be Greek mythos.

Will be back on-line in a couple of dfays.

NPL