b-hebrew - Re: EBH/LBH: quotations....?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "uri hurwitz" <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: EBH/LBH: quotations....?
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:14:23 -0400

Dear Vince, sarcasm such as "micky mouse" "sigh" etc. are not,
unfortunately, refutations of a position one opposes.
On the other hand, one should keep an open mind, and therefore I was
curious to see how you refute the accepted position on diachronic
development in BH. This, as you know, did not start with Hurvitz (no
relation of mine); he stands on shoulders of giants.
I am still waiting!
That the author of Eccl. could have written standard, earlier Hebrew,
as you suggested, is like stating that contemporary English writers can
adopt earlier styles of expression ,which is done all the time.
We agree that sociology of knowledge need not be dragged into the
debate. Best, Uri

  • Re: EBH/LBH: quotations....?, uri hurwitz, 05/28/2002