b-hebrew - initial waw

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: initial waw
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 10:31:59 -0400

Dear All,
I joined the Weingreen self-study Hebrew group
and I've a question. Weingreen is teaching everyone
that normal BH word order is VSO, so he has
sentences like Amar HaShem zeh tov.
Do sentences like that actually appear in the Tanak,
or are all such sentences actually wawVSO?
Are sentences like the above without the waw
actually grammatical? They feel very strange to me.
I'm sure they're useful pedagogically tho.

Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1285
lizfried AT umich.edu