b-hebrew - Modern Hebrew --2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Modern Hebrew --2
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 19:57:57 -0400

shalom Qobbi veHevre,

The thread seems to have gone done funny paths over the holidays.

(TP)
>> Another would be to develop a hybrid of sorts, which is what
>>I suspect happens in a program like Randall's Biblical Ulpan.

(JW)
>a hybrid is- as such- a non reality in that it is never found anywhere in
>the real world. so- if we were to pursue this- the construction of a
hybrid
>brand of hebrew would make us all better exegetes. so who will invent
this
>hybrid and how will it be taught. will it be in the manner of ebonics for
>example?

Would it help for Randall Buth to say that he is against hybrids for
Biblical Hebrew?
We aim to teach 100% Biblical Hebrew, no gapfilling.
We tell students that BH is full of holes and then carefully
steer around them while teaching and drilling. If students want a
fuller language they are welcome to go on to mishnaic and modern
hebrew.

blessings,

Randall Buth
jerusalem

  • Modern Hebrew --2, Randall Buth, 05/18/2002