b-hebrew - RE : OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GOLDMAN Amir Patrick <amirpatrick.goldman AT unifr.ch>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE : OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 16:38:41 +0200

Just a word in this debate which seems to become rather passionate.
I do agree with everybody that it is not necessary to speak latin in
order to teach it, nor to speak (modern) Hebrew in order to teach
biblical Hebrew. This requirement outside Israel is for the least, in my
opinion, an exaggeration.
This said, I remember my best teachers in hebrew and aramaic tellling
me that learning modern hebrew had been for them a true improvement in their
mastering of the biblical language(s). I guess this touches the oral
relationship
you establish with a language. Though Classical and Koine Greek are much
more
afar from modern Greek, the same has been told to me by scholars in this
language: learning modern greek had been an improvement.
To an oral relationship to a language this adds also a view of the evolution
of
the language which is never purely hazardous.
Best wishes to you all,
Yohanan Goldman

  • RE : OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question, GOLDMAN Amir Patrick, 05/18/2002