b-hebrew - New Book: Write's Lectures on Semitic Languages

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Kiraz" <gkiraz AT gorgiaspress.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: New Book: Write's Lectures on Semitic Languages
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:24:18 -0400

The following book came out of the press today:

Wright, W. Lectures on the Comparative Grammar of the Semitic Languages
ISBN: 1-931956-12-X
Price: $29.95
Subtitle: With a New Introduction by Patrick Bennett
Series: Gorgias Reprints 28
Format: Paperback
Size (in): 6 x 9
Pages: [v] + xi + 288
Publication Year: 2002 (reprint of the 1890 ed.)

Description
These Lectures were written for students of the University of Cambridge
towards the end of the nineteenth century by the eminent Semitist William
Wright. The Lectures are full of valuable and accurate data drawn from a
variety of Semitic languages. While more recent studies on the Comparative
linguistics of Semitic have appeared, Wright's Lectures remain a classic
in the field.

"As Santayana said, those who cannot remember the past are condemned to
repeat it. One of my greatest pleasures teaching diachronic linguistics is
showing how often our latest discoveries prove to have been published a
century ago. We reinvent the wheel at regular intervals - and in most
cases never realize it. Wright's Lectures are packed not only with data,
but with carefully drawn conclusions. It would behoove us to take these
into account before drawing our own." - Patrick Bennett, from the New
Introduction

Contents
I Introductory Remarks. The Term Semitic. Diffusion and Original Home of
the Semites
II General Survey of the Semitic Languages
III Semitic Writing
IV The Letters of the Semitic Alphabet and the Changes They Undergo
V The Vowels and Their Permutations
VI The Pronouns
VII The Noun
VIII The Verb
IX The Irregular Verb
Additional Notes and Corrections

ORDER INFORMATION:
Online orders: www.gorgiaspress.com
Fax orders: +1 732 699 0342
Phone Orders: +1 732 699 0343
Address: Gorgias Press, 46 Orris Ave, Piscataway, NJ 08854 USA. Email:
orders AT gorgiaspress.com.

George Kiraz

George A. Kiraz, M.St. (Oxon), M.Phil., Ph.D. (Cantab)
Gorgias Press
46 Orris Ave.
Piscataway, NJ 08854
Tel. 732-699-0343
Fax 732-699-0342
http://www.GorgiasPress.com

  • New Book: Write's Lectures on Semitic Languages, George Kiraz, 04/08/2002