b-hebrew - Re: mwt in names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: mwt in names
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 07:47:21 -0700

This may be the case for some of the Canaanite names e.g. in
Genesis and the early part of Chronicles, but in the case of David's
men, and particularly the post-exilic individuals in Ezra, I doubt this
is the case. If the names originated as compounds of the Canaanite
deity, I would suspect that by the time of Ezra (and perhaps even of
David?) such meanings would have been lost.

> I doubt that anyone understood them to mean "death," but rather MOT, the
> Canaanite god of death and the netherworld who serves in the Ugaritic texts
> as the chief adversary of Baal, the god of life.
> Charles

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do
with it.
-Emerson