b-hebrew - RE: TOHUW WA BOHUW, Gen & Jer. (hyth)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Glenn Blank <glennblank AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: TOHUW WA BOHUW, Gen & Jer. (hyth)
  • Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:03:41 -0800

>From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
>Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:51:28 +0100

>The X-QATAL construction implies not consecutiveness
>but a previous state: "The earth had been TOHU..." The verb form is not
>enough to settle this issue decisively, but it is enough to suggest that
>as the more probable interpretation.

Hello, Peter, Lawrence, et al.

When I have seen the proposal Lawrence suggests discussed before, the
argument
seemed to hinge on whether hyth in gen 1.2 is to be interpreted as
"became" or "was." Is this an issue, and how would it compare with the
copula not being explicit in jer 4.23? And on what basis could it be
decided whether the copula in gen 1.2 conveys process or state? The
arguments always
seemed inconclusive to me.

glenn blank
Pensacola FL