b-hebrew - RE: Simple question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason A. Hare" <language_lover64801 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Simple question
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:48:39 -0500

Just to give an illustration of what is being said...

Mounce's _Morphology of Biblical Greek_ has a great section on the
formation of tense stems. I don't have the reference with me, but this
book is so readily accessible that it shouldn't be hard for anyone to
find.

BALLW (I throw)
root - BAL
pres. stem. - BALL (actually, BAL + cons. iota)
aor. stem. - BAL

Many root changes (to form present tense stems) are noted in Mounce's
book, and they all happen (with few exception) according to morphological
order.

There are some words, though, that have two or more roots that have meshed
together, and the different roots are evident in different tense stems.
(E.g., LEGW, hORAW, etc.)

Stem is not another word for root, as was said two messages before in this
thread. Rather, root refers to the structure that underlies the word and
gives it its distinctive meaning. Stem refers to the form the root takes
in a particular tense/formation (which generally is formed according to
reasoned order).

To relate this to the B-Hebrew list... Hebrew uses a root system (as we
all know), too. I guess you might think of the "root" (in relation to
Greek) as the tri-literal formulation (in Hebrew) that carries the
distinctive meaning of the word. The Greek "stem" relates (ever so
slightly) to the Hebrew vowel patterns.

If that makes any sense, I've accomplished something. As it is, I'm
exhausted and trying to get my thoughts down without too much confusion.
;-)

Regards,
Jason