b-hebrew - Re: Lognazim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "J. W. Wesselius" <jwwesselius AT mail.thuk.nl>
  • To: "Kevin L. Barney" <klbarney AT yahoo.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lognazim
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:35:29 +0100

It is probably lo'azim, m.pl. of the qal act.part. of the verb l'z
(lamed-ayin-zayin), "to speak a foreign (i.e. incomprehensible) language"
(compare Psalm 114:1, "a people of strange language" in the KJV). [gn] was a
conventional way of expressing the way in which the ayin was and is
pronounced in parts of the Jewish pronunciation tradition, some grammars say
that it is pronounced [gn] at the beginning and [ng] at the end of a
syllable.
By the way, the sentence in the introduction is a pun on the meaning of
"barbarous", which underwent more or less the same development of meaning,
from "incomprehensible" to "foreign". Hope this helps,

Jan-Wim Wesselius
Theologische Universiteit Kampen
Postbus 5021, 8260 GA Kampen
tel. 038-3371 662; fax 3371 613