b-hebrew - re: Question: Off topic? Why study

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: IanÿGoldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Question: Off topic? Why study
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:32:12 -0500

shalom,

Ian Goldsmith katav:

>Whilst I enjoy studying Hebrew very
>much indeed, I find it difficult to give a reason,
>when asked, why anyone else should learn Hebrew.
>
>I would very much appreciate your encouraging views.

Lot's of answers for lots of audiences.

I saw that Liz mentioned 'wordplays'.
Yes, plus 1/3 of the Hebrew Bible is poetry, and as everyone
knows, poetry is not just content, it is content plus form.

Ian mentioned "Hebrew", which opens up more:
Qumran texts,
Rabbinic texts.

Fully sifting through a text can only be done in the original.

If people have done that in any language, it's hard to understand
why they wouldn't understand.
But
if people have never done that in any language it would be hard
to explain "why" in Hebrew. It's called 'close reading' in literary
circles, and you just can't do that in translation.

blessings,

Randall Buth
Jerusalem