b-hebrew - RE: One God.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: One God.
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:22:39 -0500

It doesn't matter about Elohim in the Shma).
Elohim is not the subject, YHWH is, and YHWH is unambiguously
singular.
Elohim can be singular or plural, so one needs to look at
the verb used, whether that is singular or plural.
But how we got from El to Elohim is a mystery to me,
maybe to avoid syncretism.

Liz

  • One God., ian goldsmith, 01/29/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: One God., Lisbeth S. Fried, 01/29/2002
    • One God., Shoshanna Walker, 01/29/2002
    • Re:One God., ian goldsmith, 01/29/2002
    • RE: One God., Lisbeth S. Fried, 01/29/2002
    • One God., ian goldsmith, 01/29/2002
    • Re: One God., Ausra Pazeraite, 01/30/2002