b-hebrew - RE: 120 Years in Genesis 6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Lily Sarah Prymus'" <lizp AT sbcglobal.net>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: 120 Years in Genesis 6
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:01:25 -0000

As I understand it the book of Jashar referred to in the Hebrew Bible
was lost, and the only existing books by that name are medieval
forgeries. Are you trying to claim that this particular book is genuine
and older than the Bible? See the discussion at
http://www.ccel.org/a/anonymous/jasher/real.htm, but I am not at all
convinced by the arguments there. I note that the book was "faithfully
translated into English from the Rabbinical Hebrew in approximately A.D.
1840". Well, Rabbinical Hebrew was not the language of the time before
the Hebrew Bible was written, so that alone is enough to show that at
the very least this document has been extensively rewritten, even
translated, into a later form of Hebrew. It would be interesting to see
the Hebrew of the passages quoted in the Bible. If these are exactly as
in the Bible rather in Rabbinical Hebrew, and contrast with the
surrounding Rabbinical Hebrew text, that would be a dead giveaway for a
fraud.

Peter Kirk

Believe