b-hebrew - RE: Plants in Genesis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Plants in Genesis
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:18:02 -0700

> <Matthew>
> >>What are the exact definitions of all of the synonyms for the word "plant"
> in Genesis 1 and 2? Also, what are your takes on the plants of Genesis 2
> not having been made because no man was to til the earth, yet they are
> created on Day Three in Genesis 1?
>
> <Bill>
> These are usually reconciled by having the second word mean "cultivated
> plant" as in orchards or gardens, rather than wild herbage.
>
> Bill ross

Actually, the notion that man is created before the plants in chapter
2 is based on the outmoded adherence to the idea that the wayyiqtol
always indicates temporal sequence. Many of us here, including
Rolf and myself, have set forth evidence that this is definitely not the
case, but progress moves very slowly in this type of field.
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
This time, like all times, is a very good one if we but know what to do
with it.
-Emerson