b-hebrew - Aramaic segol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "S. L." <lyosovs AT cityline.ru>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Aramaic segol
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:32:52 +0300

I wonder whether we know   distributional rules of  patah and segol in Tiberian BiblAram. Normally segol goes back to Protosemitic [a], as well as patah, and one is tempted to think that synchronically they could be allophones. Segol is rather rare in Tiberian Aramaic. How do we account for its appearance in, e.g.  yabbe$ta: <*yabba$ta:? Do you know of electronic devices allowing to find all the segols in Tiberian Aramaic?
 Sergey