b-hebrew - RE: phonology question,2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vincent M. Setterholm" <Vincents AT minn.net>
  • To: "Randall Buth" <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: phonology question,2
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:37:07 -0600

From: Randall Buth [mailto:ButhFam AT compuserve.com]
(Why would someone want to sound like Gensenius?)

Perhaps if I give my reasons someone can point me in the right direction....
When learning greek, i found that following really precise systems of
pronunciation greatly eased vocabulary acquisition. I also found that the
most scholarly reconstructions of the phonology of greek were the least used
systems. Few people want to bother with things like pitch accents. So now
I am starting to learn Hebrew, and applying what I've learned from greek, I
figure if I can learn to distinguish between aleph and ayin (unvoiced and
voiced), tet and tau, kaf and qof, and sin and samek, etc. I will be able to
learn vocab faster. When Jouon was translated to English and revised in
1996, the original phonology system was left intact, so I figured it was
still a valid system, even if not widely used today. So I was looking for
tapes to hear what those sounds should sound like.

I don't want to use a system that has been proven wrong, but on the other
extreme, I don't want to use a system that makes all these letter pairs
sound the same just because that's easiest for native English speakers.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Vincent Setterholm