b-hebrew - RE: CHESED

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Ausra Pazeraite'" <apazera AT yahoo.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew \(Biblical Hebrew\)" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: CHESED
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:05:15 -0000

Surely in Gen 24:27 the XESED is from God towards Abraham, this servant’s master?

In 24:49, the XESED is from Laban and Bethuel towards Abraham. This is presumably a matter of obligations to relatives, and “loyalty” would fit rather well, perhaps better than “commitment” in this case. But perhaps there is a need for anthropological data here as well: in that culture, did Laban have an obligation to provide a bride for his relative?

On the other hand, I have heard it said that XESED in Genesis is a rather different concept from XESED in the rest of the Hebrew Bible.

Peter Kirk