b-hebrew - Re: Aramaic "bar" in Proverbs 31

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ianyoung AT plato.arts.usyd.edu.au
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Aramaic "bar" in Proverbs 31
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:40:02 +0000

Hi,

Why would you assume the section is written by Solomon, when it says it is
written by a King Lemuel? Many scholars read it as Lemuel king of Massa, in
North Arabia (Gen 25:14) by redividing the verse and taking the word
translated in your quote by 'prophecy' as a proper noun 'Massa'.

Aramaic was certainly around in Solomon's time according to the Biblical
account- the Arameans are mentioned several times in the stories about David
and Solomon. We don't have to suggest Aramaic impact on everyday Hebrew to
account for Aramaisms in Wisdam literature, since it is commonly suggested
that Aramaic was the primary language that the international Wisdom genre was
expressed in. Using Aramaisms in Wisdom literature might have just been good
style. According to these common scholarly ideas, it is irrelevant whether
Aramaisms like bar appear in non-Wisdom genres, as it is likewise irrelevant
how much impact we imagine Aramaic to have had on everyday Hebrew at whatever
date we imagine Prov 31 to have been written.

In other words, I can't see any reason why bar 'son' could not appear at any
date you care to suggest for Prov 31.

If you are interested, I did some thinking about Aramaisms, and Prov 30-31, in
my book Diversity in Pre-Exilic Hebrew.

Ian Young
University of Sydney