b-hebrew - Re: Fiery Stones

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben and Jo Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Fiery Stones
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:41:37 +0000

On Sat 12 Jan 2002 (14:41:18), bhebrew AT hotmail.com wrote:
> In Eze 28:14 Ezekiel says about the King of Tyre that he "walked among
> the fiery stones". Is there some symbolic meaning in Hebrew of the "fiery
> stones". What are they?

Probably the precious stones mentioned in the previous verse (13).
These are igneous rock crystals, formed as molten rock cools down under
great pressure.

The King of Tyre's garments were richly set with jewels, comparable to
those worn by the High Priest in his breastplate (Exodus 28:17-20). He
seemed to fancy himself as a god, like the Pharaohs and later the Roman
emperors.

He started out well (verse 15), but fell from grace and was rejected
(15b-19).

For theological comment I must refer you to the commentaries.

Shalom
Ben
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>
http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm