b-hebrew - Re: discourse and aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul-Jennifer Schaefer" <paul-Jennifer_schaefer AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: discourse and aspect
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 14:59:22 -0600

I agree with the basic explanation of David Stabnow, but want to address
Dave Washburn's comment below:

Dave Washburn said:
>I'm getting ready to dash out the door so I can only address this one
>cluster at this point, but these are all chiastic. F. I. Andersen
>(The Sentence in Biblical Hebrew) explains chiasmus as a device for
>tying two things into one, two sides of a coin, so to speak. Each of
>these illustrates this quite well, and there's no need to
>mainline/offline or anything else. This is one of my many gripes
>with discourse analysis, but that's another topic...these are simple
>chiasmus. Nothing more.

Dave,
Actually discourse analysis is not as transparently complicated as you've
presented it. As chiasmus (or contrast, which would be a better term for
what is happening here) does in inself form a cohesive unit, you could
expect this smaller unit to fit "as is" into the larger narrative-wayyiqtol
chain structure. It is only unattached X-qatals that would indicate
something being off the mainline. Or that is how I understand it, at least
(comments?).

Paul Schaefer
paul-jennifer_schaefer AT sil.org