b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew search (vowels)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Pere Casanellas" <pere.casanellas AT btlink.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew search (vowels)
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 16:42:15 -0000

I think your problem may be that the Westminster text divides forms like
WAY.O)MER into two separate words WA and Y.O)MER. But then I would expect it
to miss HAY.OWM for the same reason. Also it might miss HA$.FMAYIM because
there is an accent mark between the A and the Y.

I have just done a complex search and found 6060 surface forms containing AY
(with an optional accent or morpheme break) within one word and 15982 cases
where one part of a word ends with A and the following part starts with Y. I
can let you have a list of these cases as a (tab delimited) text file, but
it's 581KB (124KB as zip file). But this is not based on the latest version
of the Westminster text.

Peter Kirk