b-hebrew - Re: Aleph and Ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Aleph and Ayin
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 14:16:00 -0500

What is the difference, then, between, say, the word 'ir (city), and 'elohim? Thanks, Matt

The people I know in Israel who really pronounce ayin and aleph differently, are all my friends who are Yemenite Jews, and a handful of other Separdi Jews.

When you pronounce the ayin correctly, there is a big difference.

It is supposed to be pronounced from deep deep down in the throat.

Not so, the aleph.

shoshanna