b-hebrew - RE: etter names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: etter names
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:47:15 -0500

Dear Uri,
I did study Arabic for about two months
on my own with a tape. I understood from
that course that all these letters should be
pronounced differently, including the
aleph and the ayin, which has not yet been mentioned.
I could not for the life of me hear the
difference between the members of these pairs,
and finally gave up. Is there any hope or is it
a lost cause?
Liz