b-hebrew - Re: Leningrad Codex & Chronicles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: "James Kirk" <jckirk AT worldnet.att.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Leningrad Codex & Chronicles
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:35:24 +0000

At 10:55 11/12/01, James Kirk wrote:

I was browsing through the facsimiles of the Leningrad Codex the other day and noticed that in it Chronicles is placed at the beginning of the "Writings" (in contrast with BHS's placement of Chronicles at the end). In trying to understand what was going on I came across this note in BHS: "The BHS, following the BHK, deviates from the order of the books in L[eningrad] only in placing 1,2 Chronicles at the end" (XII). The editors of BHS say nothing more about it and I have not been able to find more explanation in BHK. Are they following another textual/canonical tradition at this point? If so, why?

A useful first source for this sort of query is the Anchor Bible Dictionary.

In it, as part of R.W.Klein's long entry under " Book of Chronicles 1.2 " you will find this;

In some Hebrew manuscripts from Spain it appears as the first book among the Writings, where its worship emphases provide a fitting introduction to the following book of Psalms. Its now standard position at the end of the canon follows the practice of the Jewish community in Babylon. In the Septuagint and associated translations (e.g., Vulgate, Ethiopic), the order is Kings, Chronicles, 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras (= Ezra-Nehemiah).
<<<<<<<<<

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]
mauros AT iol.ie

" With computers we can now misinterpret Scripture at speeds never before possible"