b-hebrew - Re: Aftermath of virus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <kelowery AT cs.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Aftermath of virus
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 07:43:19 -0500

Thanks, Greg, for taking prompt action. For what it's worth, the Lyris
conference software that runs B-Hebrew does have virus checking capabilities,
but its effectiveness depends upon the University of North Carolina's
system administrators.

I have also deleted the infected message from the b-hebrew archives.

Yes, the rule is: never, never, never open an attachment which
you did not expect, or which comes from an infrequent or unknown correspondent. FYI, the Pegasus email client (http://www.pmail.com)
does a good job of preventing attachments from automatically activating. Pegasus is for Windows, and it's free. The Mozilla/Netscape
browser also has an email/news client (I'm using it to write this
message), and it has lots of builtin security. Of course, the only
long-term solution to worms and viruses is to use a properly secured
operating system like Linux (there are *no* viruses for that OS)...

Blessings,

Kirk
B-Hebrew co-chair

Greg Doudna wrote:

Yes a virus did go out of my computer in an attachment
to an email sent to my entire address book (which included
the b-hebrew list) on Friday night (Nov. 30) about 8 pm
Eastern Standard Time (U.S.).
My programmer brother had the virus itself removed from
my computer within minutes (and then he gave me his
Virus Basics for Dummies lecture 101). No reports have come back to me so far of anyone infected from my computer, but b-hebrew list recipients are my biggest concern, since b-hebrew is the only e-list in my address book whose server did not bounce the offending message back to me unsent.

If anyone was infected with the virus this link will give
instructions for the virus's removal:

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99069&#removal_instructions

Also, I would appreciate knowing offlist if anyone
was infected from my computer.
My problem was I had MacAfee virus protection software installed, but had not updated it. (Lesson: it is not enough to install a virus protection program once and then assume protection thereafter; it must continually be updated.)

After the virus was removed from my own computer I sent out an email letter (about 9:30 pm EST Friday night) to all individuals in my address book attempting to stop people from opening the attachment in the email that
went out from my computer about 8 pm Friday, and
giving the link above if needed.

I deleted b-hebrew from that mailing, however, because
I thought that the server for b-hebrew would have detected
and stopped the virus before it was sent out to the list, but
that was not the case.
Greg Doudna

This morning I received a posting from "Greg Doudna (sic, with an n; =
isn\t the real person Greg Doudha?), subject line: "Re: Biblical Hebrew =
Digest No....." containing a virus attachment wth a very long name: =
"V32\...pif"=20
My anti-virus program warned me in tune so I deleted it.
Please be advised.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [kirk AT leningradensis.org]