b-hebrew - Numbers 22.18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peterg45 AT excite.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Numbers 22.18
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:49:26 -0800 (PST)

I am leading a really terrific Bible study (not developed by me). We are
studying the "Wilderness Wanderings" of Israel, and did some focusing on the
Balak/Balaam episode. In Numbers 22.18, Balaam refers to the Lord as "the
Lord my God"--YHWH 'elohai. I have checked commentaries, but no one seems to
comment on his choice of words here. He is from Mesopotamnia. Is he
acquainted with YHWH, or is he just using the term as a cop-out: "It's not
my fault I have to bless; the God of the Hebrews made me do it"?

Gordon Goltz

Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite Messenger
http://messenger.excite.com