b-hebrew - RE: b-hebrew digest: November 12, 2001

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "M & E Anstey" <anstey AT raketnet.nl>
  • Cc: "B Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: b-hebrew digest: November 12, 2001
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:25:05 -0500

Hebrew word order is (usually) V-S-O. Verb, subject, object.
Greek word order is (usually) S-O-V, Subject, object, verb.
Verb last. When I was taking Greek, and you came to the verb,
you could breathe a sigh of relief.
However, actually, because Greek has cases, Greek can put their
words in any order without sacrificing comprehension. The
translators translated the Hebrew Bible word for word, putting
the verb first, not the usual word order for Greek.
There are other differences too. For example, vayehi, translated
by the KJV as "it came to pass," is translated literally into
Greek as kai egeneto, not the normal way to begin a Greek sentence.
However, Mark does all these things, and no one has suggested
(to my knowledge) that Mark is a translation from a semitic original.
The point is that the (Semitic) word order of the LXX became
interpreted as the way you write religious texts.
Liz