b-hebrew - randy and spoken BH?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: Vincent DeCaen <decaen AT chass.utoronto.ca>
  • Cc: Randall Buth <113313.266 AT compuserve.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: randy and spoken BH?
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 15:32:50 -0500

shalom vincent,

are you trying to understand what I said or to misunderstand what
I said?

>BH ulpan...?

Yes, as for methodology,
all languages are equally dead inside a classroom.
(we should be using methologies that are maximally efficient).

>i'm dying to know which biblical dialect you use.

sorry to hear you're not doing well.

>do your native speakers ...

all teachers of a second language are native speakers?

>i've always wanted to do fieldwork...! ;-)

good.
because if you've internalized the nuts and bolts you will have all of our
written texts to process while going through the natural process of (i +
1)-ing
your way to a better and cleaner use of the language. You are familiar with

with Krashen's theories? You owe it to yourself, in any case, because you
might
want to internalize a language or two in the future.
(NB: this does not replace analysis anymore than an English speaker can
ignore
analysis. but analysis is a fun game that is parallel to acquiring the
language.
Also, you might want to learn something of the 'self-correction' processes
that take place within natural language learning. [finally, error-free
production is
not the goal but a fluency with imput, oral or written, as opposed to
playing
the popular game 'name that binyan'.])

blessings

Randall Buth, PhD
Director, Biblical Hebrew Ulpan
www.BiblicalUlpan.org
Buth AT jerusalemschool.org
and Lecturer,
Rothberg International School
Hebrew University

  • randy and spoken BH?, Vincent DeCaen, 11/06/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • randy and spoken BH?, Randall Buth, 11/07/2001