b-hebrew - Re: translating for rodney

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Robie <jwrobie AT softwareag.com>
  • To: decaen AT chass.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen), Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: translating for rodney
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 17:14:01 -0500

At 10:24 AM 10/29/2001 -0500, Vincent DeCaen wrote:
first question. do you understand the term "generative" grammar? do you
understand the goals of someone constructing such a grammar?

I know what a generative grammar is in computer science. By analogy, I would assume that a generative grammar describes the structure of the syntax as proposed by some theory, and it is used to create sentences to see if human beings agree that these are really sentences in the target language?

Just guessing....

Jonathan

  • Re: translating for rodney, Jonathan Robie, 11/02/2001